Why is it Important to Wear Disposable Gloves in the Workplace
When personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves, hard hats, facemasks, and glasses come to mind, you might think of workplaces such as hospitals, construction sites, and laboratories. However, the importance of PPE in the workplace extends beyond these classic settings. From cleaning up spills to preventing the spread of illness to handling tools effectively, there are a variety of reasons why PPE is important for many kinds of businesses and organizations.
What Is PPE?
Personal protective equipment, or PPE, refers to gear worn to minimize exposure to hazards that cause serious workplace injuries and illnesses. These hazards can be chemical, physical, mechanical, electrical, or any other kind of risk to employees. PPE includes items such as disposable gloves, head coverings, masks, coveralls, and more.
Why Is PPE Important in the Workplace?
The importance of personal protective equipment can’t be overstated. It’s necessary to reduce the risk of injuries and illnesses for your employees, customers, and other visitors. Nobody wants to see anyone get sick or injured on the job, or to be exposed to conditions that could cause long-term damage over time. Businesses also need to provide PPE to their team to comply with government regulations and avoid legal damages should someone on their staff get sick or hurt.
Harmful conditions and injuries caused by not wearing PPE may include:
- Skin absorption of harmful materials
- Severe cuts and punctures
- Chemical burns
- Burns from high temperatures
- Frostbite from low temperatures
When to Wear Disposable Gloves and Other PPE in the Workplace
PPE is important for every workplace, and having a supply of disposable gloves on hand will help keep everyone safe while preventing disruptions. When worn properly, gloves provide a variety of benefits:
- Gloves can help employees keep a better grip on tools and other materials. This not only keeps them safe from injuries that might result from things slipping through their fingers but also improves their ability to work.
- Spills can happen anywhere, and some cleaning supplies are harmful to skin. Disposable gloves will help protect employees when cleaning up messes.
- It’s not only in a healthcare setting where germs can spread. Gloves can help reduce the spread of illness and disease in any setting where people are interacting or passing items among one another. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, for instance, many businesses started enforcing the use of PPE. Disposable gloves helped slow the transmission of the virus.
Who Is Responsible for Providing PPE?
While there are a few exceptions, employers are largely responsible for providing PPE for their employees and forcing employees to wear the gear. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), employers are also responsible for training workers to use the equipment properly and to understand when it’s necessary to wear it.
Tips for Choosing the Right Disposable Gloves
PPE is only effective when used properly. Here are some tips for buying disposable gloves for your business.
- Gloves should fit perfectly, with no extra room. Order a variety of sizes to accommodate everyone on your team.
- Replace gloves regularly, especially when there are signs of contamination or wear and tear.
- Use disposable nitrile, vinyl, or latex gloves when using cleaning supplies or trying to reduce the spread of germs or diseases.
- Use rubber gloves when working with heat and electricity to reduce the risk of burn or electrical shock.
- Order some powder-free and latex-free gloves to help protect those with allergies.
Order Disposable Gloves from Glove America
Never underestimate the importance of personal protective equipment like gloves! Glove America has a variety of disposable gloves that will provide quality protection for your employees and won’t break your budget.